HALLOWEEN TRICK OR TREAT
Friday, October 25
5-6 pm – Trick or treat through downtown Galesburg
6-7 pm – Refreshments and more!
All events will be located behind City Hall. 15-20 volunteers are needed to lead groups of trick or treaters in order to make this a success. Please contact any DDA member to volunteer.
INTO THE WOODS JR. ~ CHURCH OUTING
A Centre Stage Production
“Into the Woods Jr.” will play at the Comstock Auditorium on Friday, October 25, 7pm; Saturday, October 26, 7pm; Sunday, October 27, 2pm. A sensory friendly performance will be held on Saturday, October 26, at 2pm. Tickets are $10 for students/seniors, and $12/general admittance. Tickets can be purchased at the door, or at kzoocst.com.
Our church is planning to attend the show together on Friday, October 25. We will meet in the church parking lot at 6pm to carpool. Please contact Whitney if you would like to attend but night driving is not an option for you, we will pick you up! And please add your name to the sign-up sheet, or contact Whitney, if you plan to attend.
PASTOR’S COMMUNITY OFFICE HOURS
Rev. Whitney Brown is holding Office Hours out in the community. This is an opportunity for our church to be “out and about”. You are invited to join Whitney at these venues for all or even just part of the time. Come enjoy a cup of coffee or a meal, and some time for open conversation.
The Office Hours will be held at the following locations:
Tuesday, October 22, 11am-1pm, at the Koffee Klutch
Thursday, November 14, 11am-1pm, at the Koffee Klutch
BLUE JEANS SUNDAY
Sunday, October 27, 2019
Blue Jeans Sunday will focus on outside yard work. You are invited to come to church dressed in comfortable work clothes. If you are able to help please bring rakes, leaf blowers, tarps, and whatever you think will help for the projects listed below. Following worship, we will begin working on several projects around the church.
The following is a list of things we hope to accomplish:
- Leaf/Lawn pick-up
- Trimming trees and bushes
- Wash windows
- Clean lower parsonage gutters
- Put by each entrance: salt and shovels for ice/snow clearing
- Prime snow blower
! TURN CLOCKS BACK 1 HOUR ON NOVEMBER 2 !
SOUTHWEST ASSOCIATION UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
Sunday, November 3, 2019
Zion United Church of Christ
3001 Veronica Drive, St. Joseph
Please join us as we conduct the important and necessary business of the Association, including approving a budget and committee nominations for next year. After the business portion of the meeting we will reflect on the discussions and actions of the 2019 United Church of Christ General Synod.
Pre-register by contacting Lisa at 517-332-3511 Ext. 204 or email@example.com no later than Wednesday, October 30, 2019.
BLESSING OF OUR FRIENDSHIP QUILT
Sunday, November 3, 2019
A minister’s stole, a scrap of a wedding dress, a loved one’s shirt, a mother’s dress, and father’s flannel. Each scrap of fabric comes with a story. Every fiber filled with memory. Juanita Manning-Walsh and Pat Sibbald have taken our scraps and have created a wondrous friendship quilt of our church members and friends. We will join in blessing this quilt on Sunday, November 3, during worship, when we also celebrate All Saints Day, which seems fitting! Come join in this precious moment of blessing!
VETERANS DAY WORSHIP
Sunday, November 10, 2019 ~ 10:30am
On the eve of this year’s Veteran’s Day we would like to take this opportunity to honor the veterans among us with a special worship of honor. Please invite veterans among your family, friends, and neighbors to join us in worship on this day! It will be our joy and privilege to honor all veterans.
Saturday, November 23, 2019
COME ENJOY A DAY OF….
Coffee & Donuts
Homemade Baked Goods
Raffle tickets for the Quilt are on sale now for $1.00 each, or six tickets for $5.00. To purchase tickets, speak to a member of the Women’s Fellowship, call the Church Office (665-7910), or come to the Bazaar! We will draw the raffle at 2:00pm at the Bazaar.
Please add your name to the sign-up sheets if you’re able to help with the Bake Sale, Cookie Walk, or working at the Bazaar. Thank you.
Set-up for the Bazaar will take place on Sunday, November 17, and during the week before the Bazaar.
UPCOMING EVENTS FOR CHILDREN & YOUTH
- SUNDAY SCHOOL: Every Sunday at 10:30am
- HALLOWEEN: Sunday, October 27, you are invited to come in costume!! Remember also the Halloween event on October 25, 5-7pm, behind City Hall.
- DECORATING CHRISTMAS TREE: Sunday, December 1, 10:30am.
- CHRISTMAS YOUTH PROGRAM: Sunday, December 15, 10:30am.
- OCTOBER 22: Community Office Hours, 11am-1pm, Koffee
- OCTOBER 25: CHURCH OUTING “Into the Woods Jr.” 6pm
parking lot; DDA Halloween, 5-7pm, City Hall
- OCTOBER 27: Worship 10:30am, Blue Jeans Sunday, Come in
- OCTOBER 31: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
- NOVEMBER 1: G-A High School Blood Drive, 7am-12:45pm
- NOVEMBER 2: CHANGE CLOCKS BACK ONE HOUR!
- NOVEMBER 3: Worship 10:30am, Communion, All Saints Sunday,
Blessing of Friendship Quilt, Free-Will Offering Gary
Allen, SWA Fall Meeting, 2:30pm, Zion UCC, St.
- NOVEMBER 10: Worship 10:30am, Veteran’s Day Worship, Free-
Will Offering Gary Allen
- NOVEMBER 11: Women’s Luncheon
- NOVEMBER 14: Community Office Hours, 11am-1pm, Koffee
- NOVEMBER 17: Worship 10:30, Set-Up for Bazaar
- NOVEMBER 19: Newsletter Items Due
- NOVEMBER 23: CHRISTMAS BAZAAR!, 9am-2pm
- NOVEMBER 24: Thanksgiving Worship 10:30am, Poinsettia Orders
- NOVEMBER 28: HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
- DECEMBER 1: Advent 1, Worship 10:30am, Communion,
Decorate Tree in worship
- DECEMBER 4: Galesburg Winter Wonderland, Parade 6pm
ADVENT & CHRISTMAS EVENTS
POINSETTIAS: You are invited to decorate our church for the Christmas Season by donating a Poinsettia plant in memory/honor of a loved one. Look for the order forms in our Sunday bulletins and this newsletter. Forms can be returned to the Church Office or placed in the offering plate on Sundays. The deadline for placing orders is Sunday, November 24. Donated plants can be brought to people needing some Christmas cheer! Otherwise, you may take your plants home on Sunday, December 22.
ADVENT WREATH: You, your friends, and family are invited to lead us in the lighting of our Advent Wreath during the Sundays of Advent and on Christmas Eve. Please add your name/s to the sign-up sheet at church if you would like to light the wreath this year.
CHRISTMAS WINDOWS: You, your friends, and family are invited to decorate our windows for Christmas. Windows should be decorated by Sunday, December 1. A sign-up sheet is available for adopting a window to decorate!
FIRST SUNDAY IN ADVENT: DECORATING THE CHRISTMAS TREE WORSHIP: December 1. Come join in this festival of decorating our tree as a family of God. Everyone is welcome! Children will remain in worship on this day. Communion will be shared
GALESBURG WINTER WONDERLAND: Wednesday, December 4. City Parade at 6pm, and many events happening throughout Galesburg.
SECOND SUNDAY IN ADVENT: December 8. We continue to journey together in this Advent Season. All are welcome!
THIRD SUNDAY IN ADVENT: CHRISTMAS PROGRAM: December 15. Children & youth who are participating should arrive to church by 10:00am. Bring a small plate of goodies to share at Coffee Hour!
CHRISTMAS COFFEE HOUR: On Sunday, December 15, we invite everyone to bring a small plate of Christmas goodies to share during Coffee Hour!
FOURTH SUNDAY IN ADVENT: Sunday, December 22. A morning celebration of welcoming Christmas. Everyone is Welcome! We will receive and dedicate our gifts to the Christmas Fund, White Gifts for the food pantry, and our Mitten Tree gifts.
CHRISTMAS EVE: December 24. A candlelight worship of song and story will be held in our sanctuary at 8:00pm. Kids are welcome to wear pajamas to church! This service is a serene experience of both calm and joy. Everyone, family and friends, is welcome!
SPECIAL OUTREACH OPPORTUNITIES:
- Mitten Tree: You are invited to bring a pair of snow pants, mittens, gloves, a hat or scarf to place underneath our Christmas Tree. Our gifts will be given to the local schools for children in need.
- White Gifts: White Gifts are gifts of food items that can be placed under the Christmas Tree. Our White Gifts will be donated to the local Loaves & Fishes Food Pantry here in Galesburg.
- Poinsettia Delivery: You are invited to sign-up to deliver a Poinsettia plant to someone you personally know who could use some cheer this season. Our sign-up sheet will list the numbers of plants that have been donated for this purpose.
- Christmas Fund: Gifts given toward this offering help to care for our retired clergy and/or their spouses with emergency needs. We will be receiving these gifts all through Advent, and dedicate them on Sunday, December 22. Please make your check/envelope out to “CUCC” and writing in the memo, “Xmas Fund”.
SUNDAY, JANUARY 6, 2019: Come renew your spirit in worship. as we celebrate Epiphany! We will need help following worship to take down our Christmas Decorations. Many hands make light & merry work! Thank You!!